Garlic Butter Fan Tan Rolls
vegetable shortening or lard
salted butter, softened
cloves of garlic, crushed
chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Mix the yeast with milk and the caster sugar.
2. Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Cut the vegetable shortening into small pieces and rub into the flour.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture, egg and most of the remaining milk. Mix to a soft but not sticky dough, adding more milk or flour as necessary.
4. Knead for 6 minutes by machine or 10 minutes by hand until satiny.
5. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat it in a thin film of oil. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size.
6. Mix the garlic and parsley with the butter.
7. Heat the oven to 190°C. Lightly butter 16 muffin tins.
8. Knock back the risen dough by kneading for 30 seconds then roll it into a rectangular measuring 80 x 30cm.
9. Spread the garlic mixture over the dough. Cut the dough length ways into 6 strips.
10. Stack the strips then cut them into 16 (5 cm) pieces. Place the pieces in the muffin tins and cover with oiled cling film. Leave to prove until soft and pillowy, about 30 minutes.
11. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes or until golden-brown. Serve warm.